Monday, May 17, 2010

Tasting Results

It was a busy weekend. I drank more coffee than at any other time in my life, plus some tea, all in the name of Glacier. Now I'm back home watching all these darn birds stealing the coconut lining from my window planter for their nests.

Today I finalized some major purchases: our dipping cabinets and our walk-in fridge. I've already purchased our batch freezer (which makes the ice cream), and now I'm working on our espresso machine.





This morning I did a demo of our point-of-sale software. I was pretty happy with it. I'll probably pull the trigger on it and the hardware in a day or so. And I had a meeting at our location with a guy out of Denver to do some planning for the furniture and whatnot. While hanging around I had some people drop by and ask me what was going in the space. They seemed pretty excited when they heard about Glacier. Be sure to check out tomorrow's blog. I'm doing my first tasting for a luncheon at the center we're going into, and I'll have some other fun news.
I also tried Glacier's praline caramel crunch for the first time today. I didn't like pralines until recently, when I started buying these Post cereals I like a lot. Oh My Gosh! It was INSANE! Like pecan pie in ice cream form.
After processing all the products I've tested for our store, I'm very pleased to announce that we're partering with Colorado Coffee Merchants and Patsy's Original Candies for our coffee, tea, and candy. Both are local companies, with their products produced right here in town. This will be an important part of the store, especially during the holidays, and we're going to be doing some cross-brand combo products with them that are gonna be really cool.
I'm not a big coffee drinker. Ok, I hate coffee, generally. Even in Hawaii, at the plantation, sampling all their coffees, I hated them all. Luckily I had other people to help me pick. But here's my endorsement. This is a record of the first thoughts to enter my head on drinking the CCM coffee: "Oh. So that's what they mean by 'rich and full-bodied.' Hmm. [sip] I'd drink this."
It's also going to be a lot of fun working with Patsy's. They're a local fixture, and have been or something like 110 years. If you haven't tried their almond toffee, you're missing out. My mouth is actually full of it as I'm typing this. Amazing. So crisp and buttery, such crunchy toasted nuts and rich chocolate. And now I've dropped some on myself. Well, talk to you tomorrow. I've got to change my shirt.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'll be curious to try the coffee to see if it can make a drinker out of me too. I'm sure the candy will be easy to love. I think if you gave Mom the almond toffee for her birthday for the rest of her life she'd be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom does like almond toffee. And this is about the best I've had. I'll probably never become much of a coffee drinker, even owning my own coffee shop. I'm more likely to drink chai or milk, really. I've been a barista two or three times in my life, and I always just stuck with milk or steamers. At least now if I want coffee I'll have good coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, Cool blog. Keep up the great work and looking forward to working with you. Mark

    ReplyDelete